Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 21, 2019

An Inside Look #74 (Author Interview)

Inside Look with Abby Cooper
(Author of Bubbles)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to the blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017/2018.  


*The next season (season #FOUR) of interviews took place during the summer and fall of 2018.  With each interview I became more and more impressed with the authors I was having interactions with.  

*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the THIRD interview of what I'm calling Season #FIVE.

*Thank you to Abby Cooper for being the Seventy-Fourth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first Seventy-Three interviews…

SEASON #ONE

























SEASON #FOUR

Interview #53 with Preston Norton (Author of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe)

Interview #54 with Jonathan Auxier (Author of Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster)

Interview #55 with Sharon Creech (Author of Saving Winslow)

Interview #56 with Stacy McAnulty (Author of The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl)

Interview #57 with Kelly Yang (Author of Front Desk)

Interview #58 with Jennifer A. Nielsen (Author of Resistance)

Interview 59 with Christina Collins (Author of After Zero)

Interview #60 with Eric Walters (Author of Elephant Secrets)

Interview #61 with Phil Bildner (Author of The Rip and Red Series)

Interview #62 with Erin Soderberg (Author of Milla in Charge)

Interview #63 with Laura Shovan (Author of Take Down)

Interview #64 with Donna Gephart (Author of In Your Shoes)

Interview #65 with Alan Gratz (Author of Grenade)

Interview #66 with Barbara O'Connor (Author of Wonderland)

Interview #67 with Lindsey Stoddard (Author of Just Like Jackie)

Interview #68 with Katherine Marsh (Author of Nowhere Boy)

Interview #69 with Dusti Bowling (Author of 24 Hours in Nowhere)

Interview #70 with Christina Uss (Author of The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle)

Interview #71 with Adam P. Schmitt (Author of Speechless)



SEASON #FIVE

Interview #72 with Dan Gemeinhart (Author of The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise)

Interview #73 with Abby Cooper (Author of Sticks and Stones)



*I'm so lucky to have gotten to know so many authors.  I'm even luckier to have gotten to know some wonderful authors that live right here in the Twin Cities.  Abby Cooper is one of those authors.  She has been kind enough to visit my classroom on multiple occasions.  Her first visits were about her first novel Sticks and Stones.  Then she started to visit about her second book called Bubbles.  I recently read an ARC of her upcoming story called Friend or Fiction.

*I'm going to be running a three-part series with Abby Cooper.  Each interview will be about one of the three books.  Last week we did an interview about Sticks and Stones and this week it is all about Bubbles.  

*Abby was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post her responses here on the blog.  

*Thank you Abby Cooper for writing this book...


Bubbles
by Abby Cooper (July 3, 2017)



How did you come to know Sophie?  
When it came to writing Sophie, I wanted to explore someone different from me. As a kid, I was always the nervous one who would sit on the playground watching the other kids play. I always wondered what it would be like to be one of the kids who actually played. With Sophie, I got to find out!


What do you think is Sophie's most admirable quality?
I love Sophie's spunk and her willingness to try new things. Even if she's nervous or afraid, she just goes for it, which I think is pretty cool.


Is there anything you wish Sophie would have changed or done differently in her story?
Nope! My characters always make mistakes, but that's life. I want my characters to be relatable, and to show that mistakes, while tough at the time, ultimately help us learn and grow.


What do you think Sophie can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?
Like Sophie, I think a lot of kids feel guilty/responsible for things that aren't their fault. I hope her story inspires them to talk to someone about how they're feeling.


How did you research Sophie and the circumstances she found herself in?
My main strategy for BUBBLES research was walking around and wondering. I'd observe various people and wonder what their thought bubbles might say. Then I wondered how Sophie might react to that information. Thinking is a really important part of writing, and it was especially important with BUBBLES.


Do you and Sophie share any similarities?
Sophie and I have both fallen off stationary bikes. (Real life = excellent material for stories!)


What was the hardest scene to write about Sophie?
It was challenging writing the scenes where Sophie is at odds with her friends. I just wanted them to make up! But they had to learn a few things first.


Who do you think was Sophie's biggest supporter and why?
Sophie has two really wonderful friends in her life. I wish every sixth grader had friends like them!

Why do you think young people, and adults, spend so much of their lives worrying or thinking what other people think of them; when really the most important thing is what we think of ourselves?
That's the million dollar question! I don't know. But the question intrigues me quite a bit, so I'll probably continue to explore it in my books. :) 


What do you think Sophie is doing as the present time?  
Sophie is probably off having adventures with her mom or her friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment