Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

How I Heard About It:  A member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club) chose this novel for our latest selection.  I decided to listen to it via my Audible app.  The narrator did a phenomenal job of telling the story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Laurel Mack had everything she wanted.  A loving husband and three wonderful kids.  All of that changed when her youngest daughter Ellie disappeared.  

2.  *As much as everyone tried, there were so clues and/or signs of what happened to Ellie.  Laurel and her husband ended up divorcing and her two older children became distant.  

3.  *For years there were no clues to the disappearance of Ellie.  Then some "clues" were discovered and Laurel had to relive the tragedy all over again.  In Laurel's mind, the clues don't match up to what she knows about her daughter.  

4.  *Just as Laurel thinks her life will be living alone, she meets Floyd and she is swept up into a new and meaningful relationship.  Or is it?  

5.  *Floyd has two daughters and one of them has a connection to Ellie that will forever change all of their lives.


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I first began listening to the story, I wasn't sure I was going to like it.  Even with the disappearance of Ellie, the plot moved a bit slow for my taste.

2.  *Once I got further and further into the story, the more I became invested in the characters, the events, and the mystery.  

3.  *This isn't your typical mystery of what happened to Ellie.  There were several twists and turns that caught me totally off guard.  

4.  *As we talked about at our book club, we had never experienced such an evil and awful character as one of them presented in the story.  

5.  *This turned out to be one of the best mysteries/thrillers that I've read in a long time.  Not only was it a strong mystery, but it was also a solid story that developed the characters and relationships in an intriguing and interesting way.  


Who Should Read It:   I think any adult reader would enjoy and find satisfaction with this novel.  It would be the perfect book to take on a summer vacation.  Happy Reading!


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!








No comments:

Post a Comment