Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Chirp by Kate Messner

How I Heard About It:   This novel came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I was excited to read Kate's newest novel.  I was especially thrilled to be on the list to read since the story won't hit the world until February of 2020.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Mia is a gymnast.  Or was a gymnast.  She had an accident and wants to move away from that time in her life.

2.  *She and her family have recently moved to a new town and are now living near Mia's grandmother.  




3.  *Upon the family's arrival, Mia's grandmother shares with them that someone is out to get her and ruin her cricket farm. 

4.  *While Mia meets new friends, they join "forces" to find out what is truly going on with the cricket farm.

5.  *They think they know who is responsible, but will all be surprised to find out the TRUTH.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Kate's writing is enjoyable to read, think about, and interact with.

2.  *This was a fun and unique reading experience.  I mean how many stories are out there about cricket farms.  And farms that may be being sabotaged.  

3.  *I loved how Mia and her friends set their mind to a task and did everything in their power to help her grandmother.  

4.  *Kate always presents real-life issues in her stories and I so appreciate that.  Such rich and deep discussions can come from the events in the story.

5.  *As aspect of the book that was enticing was the mystery aspect of the plot.  Readers love to read and find out "Who Did It?"


Who Should Read It:    After finishing the story and thinking about how best to use it, I think the best audience for Kate's newest story would be readers in grades five and/or six.  I also believe that middle-school readers would also enjoy and be able to connect to Chirp.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment