Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 4, 2020

An Inside Look #138 (Author INTERVIEW)


An Inside Look with Erin Entrada Kelly
(Author of We Dream of Space

*The first season of interviews ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*Season #two ran during the summer of 2017.  

*Season #three ran during the school year of 2017-2018.  

*The fourth season ran during the summer/fall of 2018.

*Season #five ran during the 2018/2019 school year. 

*During summer 2019, the sixth season ran.  

*The seventh season of interviews ran during the fall of 2019.  

*I'm excited to be back for season #EIGHT with brand new interviews/authors.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the Seventeenth interview in which I'm calling Season #EIGHT.  

*Thank you to Erin for being the One-Hundred Thirty-Seventh author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.


*Here is my review of the Novel...


We Dream of Space

by Erin Entrada Kelly

(May 5, 2020) 

How did you come to know Cash, Fitch, and Bird?
Any time I write a book, it starts with a single character. In this case, Bird. I thought about Bird's life and the people in it. That's how I came to know Fitch and Cash. I thought it would be interesting to have three siblings in the same grade, especially since they have the same science teacher. I also wanted to have a character who has failed a grade, since that's underrepresented in children's literature. 


What do you think are their most admirable qualities? 
Bird is kind and curious. Fitch is loyal. Cash is determined.


Is there anything you wish they would have changed or done differently in their story?
No. They make mistakes, but without mistakes, they wouldn't evolve. We all have to make mistakes in life. That's one way we become better people. There's a particular scene with Fitch and Amanda that was difficult to write, but I wouldn't change it. 


What do you think Cash, Fitch, and Bird can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what they went through? 
I've met thousands of young people as a writer, and I listen to their stories. There are many kids out there who live in homes where the parents argue, say nasty things to each other, and drag the kids into it. There are kids who have failed grades. There are kids who feel suffocated in both their physical and emotional space. And there are kids who are just trying to figure out how to survive middle school. I'm hoping this book speaks to all of them.


How did you research these characters and the circumstances they found themselves in? 
I did extensive research on the Challenger disaster. Most importantly, I did significant research on how classroom teachers incorporated the launch into their daily lessons. One of my teacher friends found two Earth Science books from 1985-1986 and shipped them to me so I could understand exactly what seventh-graders were learning at that time. I drew from my own experiences and nostalgia as a child of the 80s, but I also did a deep dive into the mid-80s to make sure I was historically accurate. I had to make sure the video games in the arcade were accurate for the time period, for example. I also had the entire Philadelphia 76ers 1985/86 schedule and roster, since Cash and his father are big Sixers fans. This book required a lot of research, more so than any of my other realistic novels.

 
Do you and the kids share any similarities? 
Bird needs more emotional support than she gets, which was certainly true of me when I was her age. She's also innately curious and has big dreams, which is also familiar. At one point in the novel, Cash tries to make a list of all the things he's good at, which is something I tried (and struggled) to do at his age. I don't have too much in common with Fitch, except that he loves Choose Your Own Adventure books, and I was obsessed with those in the 1980s. I also loved the arcade, although not quite as much as he does. I never played Major Havoc, though. Galaga, Pole Position, and Centipede were my games of choice. 


What was the hardest scene to write about them?
Endings are always the hardest. The final dinner scene was probably the toughest. I tried it a few different ways. I'm happy with how it turned out. 


Who do you think were their biggest supporters and why?
Ms. Salonga, their science teacher. She keeps an eye on them. She cares about them. She sees them. 


Why do you think siblings may not be that close on a daily basis, but when it comes down to it, they are always there for each other and support them with unconditional love?
Siblings have a unique bond. An understanding that no one else has. They've seen the inner-workings of the house, and know what makes it tick.
What do you think they are doing as the present time?
I like to leave that for readers to decide. But if you ask me, I'd say Bird is working in the sciences. An engineer, probably. Cash is a coach somewhere, and has a family. And Fitch? I hope he's out there helping young people manage their inner demons. A therapist, perhaps.


*Here are links to the One Hundred Thirty-Seven interviews...

SEASON #ONE (2016-2017)

























SEASON #FOUR (Summer 2018)






















SEASON #FIVE (2018/2019)













SEASON #SIX (Summer 2019)







SEASON #SEVEN (Fall 2019)




















SEASON #EIGHT (Winter/Spring 2020)

Interview #121 with Melissa Savage (Author of Nessie Quest)

Interview #122 with Tamara Bundy (Author of Pixie Pushes On)

Interview #123 with Lindsay Lackey (Author of All the Impossible Things)

Interview #124 with Tae Keller (Author of When You Trap a Tiger)

Interview #125 with Jamie Sumner (Author of Roll With It)

Interview #126 with Hena Khan (Author of More to the Story)

Interview #127 with Phil Bildner (Author of A High-Five for Glenn Burke)

Interview #128 with Leslie Connor (Author of A Home for Goddesses and Dogs)

Interview#129 with Gillian McDunn (Author of Queen Bee and Me)

Interview #130 with Jody J. Little (Author of Worse Than Weird)

Interview #131 with Jenn Bishop (Author of Things You Can't Say)

Interview #132 with Kaela Noel (Author of Coo)

Interview #133 with Rebecca Stead (Author of The List of Things That Will Not Change)

Interview #134 with Gae Polisner (Author of Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me)

Interview #135 with Emily Blejwas (Author of Like Nothing Amazing Ever Happened)

Interview #136 with Joy McCullough (Author of A Field Guide to Getting Lost)

Interview #137 with Kim Baker (Author of the Water Bears) 

No comments:

Post a Comment