Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 29, 2016

Friend Friday #150 (Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher)

Hi!  I'm Stacy and I read the book called Dear Committee Members written by Julie Schumacher.


I think this book is funny and a bit heart breaking because the author packs so much wit and intellect into the letters of recommendation, and at the same time weaves in a sad story about one of the college students.  


My favorite part in the story is the fact that it is written entirely in letters of recommendation because I had never read a book in this format and it worked so well.  


The character that I liked best was the English professor because he is not at first a person to admire, but as the story continues, one sees the caring and concerned teacher and friend underneath the bitter and inappropriate exterior.  


I think the author wrote this book because she has experienced inequalities at the college that she works and because she wanted to write a book in a unique format.  


I would recommend this book to my friends because this is an author that can truly manipulate English vocabulary.  


Reading to me is continual way to increase my written and spoken vocabulary because at any age one can learn to use new words.  


*Stacy is another staff member that I have worked with for years.  
*I actually had her son in my class several years back.
*Her son was (and is) an avid reader and it was so great to share book titles with him.
*Stacy and I talk books all the time.  We both have similar tastes and give each other titles.  
*She is a teacher that really gets the importance of getting young people to love reading!  




No comments:

Post a Comment