Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (Adult Book)


How I Heard About It:  I remember seeing this title on Twitter quite awhile ago.  I put it on my Good Reads "to read" list.  I ordered it a few weeks ago and was quite excited when it arrived in the mail.  I read it in a few sittings and really enjoy it.  

What It Is About:  This was the story about Max and his imaginary friend Budo.  Max is in third grade and has Autism.  He had created Budo to be his safety net, his friend, and his confident.  The novel is told from the point of view from Budo which was quite interesting.  As the reader you forget he his actually an imaginary friend.  You learn about the world of imaginary friends and how and why they exist.  Max has many struggles in schools and things get worse for Max when a paraprofessional from his school gets involved in his life.  Max needs Budo to save him.  Budo teaches Max that he can save himself.  It is a unique and special relationship.

What I Thought Of It:  This novel did not disappoint.  I was hooked from page one until the very end of this story.  Being a school teacher I loved reading about Max's experiences in school and how the children and the staff react and treat him.  I loved reading the story from the point of view of Budo.  I completely forget he was actually an imaginary friend.  When I did focus on his character it was thought provoking.  The story line was engaging and I couldn't wait to find out how the story was going to end.  This was an emotional and intense roller coaster ride of a book.  I loved it and I'm recommending it to all of my reader friends.  

Who Should Read It:  I think anyone who loves a good fiction story will thoroughly enjoy this book.  It is fast paced and different from most novels.  Readers who also like to stretch their thinking and imagination will enjoy the story.  In my opinion this book is geared toward readers from middle school, high school, and adult readers.  You must pick up this novel now and experience the lives of Max and his imaginary Budo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment