Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 11, 2017

York by Laura Ruby

How I Heard About It:  I would have to be living under a rock to not know about this novel.  It was the "buzz" all about Twitter.  I loved seeing all the posts from my "Nerdy" friends on how much they were enjoying this latest work from Ruby.  I ordered the book from Amazon and it arrived on its release day of May 17th.  

What It Is About:  Tess, Theo, and Jamie all live in the Morningstar Apartment building in New York City.  The building was designed and built by the Morningstar Twins back in 1798.  It was like no other building the world had seen.  It was unique, special, and even "magical".  Full of technology no one had ever seen.  They disappeared some 50 years later, but left behind an "Old York Cipher".  This was a puzzle that would lead to the greatest treasure of all time.  The puzzle was not ever solved.  Fast forward to the present day and these three young children begin an adventure of a lifetime.  The building they live in is going to be bought and taken over by an "evil" real estate developer.  The mystery of the Cipher lands in their laps and they decide they are going to be the ones to finally solve this long-lasting mystery.  Tess, Theo, and Jamie venture out into modern New York, search for clues that were left years earlier, and come up against obstacles.  Will they be able to solve the mystery before it is too late for their building the its residents?  

What I Thought Of It:  Bone Gap was my first experience with Laura Ruby and I so enjoyed that story and shared it with many of my reading friends.  I was excited to read her newest novel and thrilled to know it was the first of a series.  This was such a unique and fun story.  The characters of Tess, Theo, and Jamie were three of the most awesome and likable characters that I have read about in quite some time.  I wanted to read the book fast, but had to slow myself down in order to take in the mystery, the clues, and the path they were lead on throughout the city of New York.  Laura Ruby's writing style is succinct, beautiful, and she doesn't waste a word.  I look forward to the next installment of this series.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion, young adult and adult readers will devour this book.  I know the story is marketed toward 8-12 years old.  There are some children in this category that will enjoy the story, but for some it may be too long and/or difficult to comprehend.  Readers that gravitate toward fantasy, mystery, and adventure; will surely be satisfied with York.  It really is brilliant.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment