Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Property of the Rebel Librarian by Allison Varnes

How I Heard About It:  I had familiar with this title because several of my online friends were "chatting" about it via Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.  When I received a copy of it, I was thrilled.  I actually didn't read the hard copy, but ended up listening to it on Audible.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *June is a twelve-year old girl who loves to read.  A girl after my own heart.

2.  *June has a special relationship with the school librarian Ms. Bradshaw.  The two of them talk books, share titles, and pretty much live for reading.  

3.  *When June's parents find a title of book they don't "approve" of, they take major action.  Not only do they get Ms. Bradshaw removed from her position, but they begin a book ban at the school. 

4.   *At first, June isn't sure what she can do, but then she comes up with the ideal of the "rebel librarian".  

5.  *She and her friends begin to hide books in a locker and start their own library system.  Everything goes well, until it doesn't.  


What I Thought Of It:  Give me a book about books and readers and I'm sold.  The audio version of this story was completely enjoyable and I loved every minute of it.  The author uses many titles/authors of current works of fiction throughout the story.  It was fun to see how these titles were used in the book and how many of them I knew.  The character of June was a strong independent girl who fought for a cause she believed in.  There were some characters on her side, and of course others that weren't.  This made for a perfect combination of conflict.  Throw in a bit of mystery and suspense, and you end up with a great read.  


Who Should Read It:   I think this novel could be used in grades three through six.  I'm torn on whether I would put it in the hands of individual readers or use it as a read aloud.  Both formats would be beneficial to the young reader.  If you know of a young person that is an AVID reader, then you must give them this story.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment