Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 16, 2019

The Year We Fell From Space by Amy Sarig King

How I Heard About It:  An author friend of mine recently posted how much she enjoyed this story and gave it five stars.  After some "research", I saw that several readers I know gave the novel rave reviews.  I downloaded it via Audible and spent this last week listening to it on my commute.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1. *Liberty has a love and passion for the sky, the stars, and the great big universe that is beyond herself.

2.  *Liberty and her younger sister Jilly are not entirely surprised when their parents announce they are separating.  

3.  *What they are surprised by is how much their father changes once he is out of their family home.

4.  *The two girls naviagate a new "normal" spliting their time between two homes.  

5.  *While they once shared an interest in the night sky, Liberty now wonders if she shares the same emotion problems her father suffers from.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *2019 must be the year of space, stars, and galaxies far away.  I've read several middle-grade stories that revolve around the topic of astronomy.

2.  *I truly enjoy the story of Liberty, Jilly, and the changes in their lives.  

3.  *A.S. King created a perfectly paced story with short, engaging chapters.  I know this will be appealing to young readers.

4.  *Liberty's "conversations" with the rock that fell from space were unique, thoughtful, and spot on.

5.  *In my opinion, the author created a realistic picture of what a family goes through during a divorce and coming to terms with a new reality.     


Who Should Read It:
Readers in grade three and above would be perfect for this newest story from A.S. King.  The chapters are short which I think is appealing for young readers.  If you know of children that have and/or experiencing divorce, this story would definitely be a support for them.  Happy Reading!

Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment