Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Elephant in the Room by Holly Goldberg Sloan

How I Heard About It:
*This was the first middle-grade novel I read after finishing up my three-year commitment on the Charlotte Huck Book Awards Committee.  I downloaded the novel onto my Kindle during virtual #NCTE20.  I had loved everything that Holly Goldberg Sloan had written so I was excited to read her newest novel.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Sila's mother had to return to Turkey to obtain the correct papers in order to continue living in the United States. 

*While she thought it would be a quick trip, it turned into an over one-year long separation.  


*Sila and her father try to make the best of life, but it isn't easy.  

*When they meet an elderly man who owns an expanse of land in which he isn't sure what to do with.

*After an elephant named Veda, enters their lives, everyone will be changed in major ways.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The story was beautiful, thoughtful, and engaging.

*I absolutely loved the character of Sila.  She drew me in from the first page.

*Actually all of the characters were authentic, unique, and heart-warming.

*The plot moved a slow and even pace, but kept my attention the entire reading experience.  

*Holly Goldberg Sloan interwove several important life-lessons into one gorgeous story for young people.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm looking forward to sharing the story with my fourth graders in 2021.  I believe the novel will be released in March.  In my opinion, the book would be perfect for readers in grades four through six.  Readers in middle-school would also be a target audience.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  
STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment