Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 1, 2021

We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker

How I Heard About It:
*A fellow reader that I follow on Instagram raved about this novel and gave it five stars.  I respect his book choices and when he gives a novel 5 stars, I know it is a story I need to read.  I bought a copy, picked it as a BBC (Boy's Book Club) selection and enjoyed the experience throughly.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Duchess and Robin haven't had an easy time of it.  Duchess had become his protector and "mother" figure.

*Their mother Star struggles in more ways than one.  She tries, but just can't.


*Walk, chief of police in a small town, has been friends with Star for many years.  He not only looks out for her, but her two children as well.

*Walk's best friend Vincent, is being released from prison for killing Star's sister thirty years earlier.  

*After Vincent's release, a horrific event occurs, and turns everyone's lives upside down.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Because of my committee work and reading,  I don't get to novels published for adults as much as I would like.  So when I do, I want the story to be wonderful.  This story was wonderful!  

*The writing was engaging, thoughtful, and personal.  

*I thought the character of Walk was the central force of the story and held everything together. 

*My heart "broke" on more than one occasion when it came to the events of Duchess, Robin, and their circumstances.  

*This was a completely enjoyable story and held my attention and interest the entire reading experience.


Who Should Read It:
*This will be a novel published for adults that I will recommend to everyone.  I can't imagine a reader not enjoying the story.  The characters and plot are spell binding, fascinating, and create one heck of a page-turner.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment