Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Educated by Tara Westover

How I Heard About It:
*I bought this memoir for myself when it came out.  I have bought the book for readers in my life.  I have listened to friends rave about Tara's story.  I actually never read her story until this summer.  I listened to the audio version while spending time in my car during my summer "job".


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Tara's memoir follows her life in Idaho with her survivalist family.

*Her family doesn't believe in formal education, doctors or traditional medicine, and live an isolated life.

*As Tara grew older, she began to realize there was a great big world out there that she knew nothing of.

*While some of her siblings broke away from the dysfunction of the family, others stayed put and lived with their mother and father through the good and the bad.

*Tara escaped the abuse of a sibling and found herself being "educated" at schools such as Harvard and Cambridge.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*There are times when I ask myself, "Why did I wait so long to read this book?"  This was one of those times.

*The audio version was fantastic.

*I was engaged, enthralled, shocked, and emotionally touched throughout the telling of Tara's story.  

*I'm always amazed with the human spirit when reading memoirs about surviving and thriving through difficult life situations.  

*This is a story I won't soon forget and one that I will continue to recommend to fellow readers.  


Who Should Read It:
*This is the type of story for all readers in high-school, college, and beyond.  Every person will come away from the story wiser, stronger, and in awe of the human spirit.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment