Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 20, 2023

Cress Watercress by Gregory Maguire

How I Heard About It:
*This novel came to via the publisher.  The cover and title caught my attention.  Then I realized the author was the same as Wicked.  It was then that I was all in.  The was a beautifully illustrated story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Cress is awaiting her father's return with hope, but her mother doesn't hold that same hope.

*Cress, a young rabbit, isn't thrilled when her mother announces they will be moving across the field.  

*Upon their arrival at "Broken Arms", the Watercress family tries to settle in.

*It is here they meet a variety of animal neighbors who are more than interested in the family's business.

*Cress tries to make the best of her new living situation, but still holds out hope for the return of her father.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*The writing, language, and imagery were strong from start to finish.

*The illustrations added greatly to the overall story.

*I'm a fan of animal fantasy stories and this one stands out and holds a special place in my heart; just like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.  

*Gregory Maguire has a talent and a way with words and creating a world in which the reader is deeply immersed.  

*This was a quick, enjoyable, and satisfying read.  I highly recommend the book.


Who Should Read It:
*I think this story would make for an exceptional class read aloud in grades three through six.  Elementary and middle-school readers will also enjoy the adventures of Cress and her family and friends.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars








No comments:

Post a Comment