Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 27, 2023

The Resemblance by Lauren Nossett

How I Heard About It:
*Before its release on November 8, 2022, I saw several social media posts about this novel.  I added it to my TBR list and recently downloaded it via Audible.  I began the story during my commute and finished it while on vacation in Mexico.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*As the reader opens the book, they are taken to the University of Georgia where fraternity life is in full swing.

*One of the fraternity brothers steps off a curb and is struck by a car.  

*All of the witnesses agree on one thing; the driver looked like the victim and was smiling as they drove away.

*Detective Kaplan is one of the first to arrive on the scene.  As she begins her investigation she tries to remain neutral, but has a personal bias toward Greek life because of her own college experience.

*During the investigation she comes up against people who want to keep the secrets a secret, and ensure the Greek life remains as it always has been.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Because of all the pre-release book buzz, I was pretty darn excited to read this mystery.

*I found the story engaging, compelling, and mysterious.  

*The author did a wonderful job of keeping my interest and building suspense as the plot unfolded.  

*I enjoyed following Kaplan's journey as she tried to remain professional and not let her person opinions get in the way of her investigation.

*The Greek life wasn't always portrayed in the most positive light, but the reader just needs to remember it is a fiction story.


Who Should Read It:
*This novel published for adults will appeal to most readers who enjoy a well-written mystery.  The plot moves along quickly, the characters are authentic, and the mystery is quite mysterious.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment