Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 19, 2017

My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent

How I Heard About It:  I picked up an ARC of this at ALA in Chicago.  It then sat in my TBR.  When I read an extraordinary review of the book I went to the pile, grabbed the book, and started to read.  It took longer to read than I wanted because of the start-up of the school year. 

What It Is About:  Julia, Turtle, Kibble are all the same young fourteen-year-old girl living with her father out in the "woods" of California.  It is just the two of them after the death of Julia's mother.  They are a bit reclusive living in a run-down boarded up shack/cabin/home.  Julia attends school at times, but finds it very difficult to fit in and keep her "secrets" at bay.  During one of her many "walks" through the forests of California, Julia meets Jacob.  She isn't sure what to think of him, but is drawn to the fact that he lives a normal life with a normal family.  Julia keeps him a secret from her father Martin.  Martin has a control over her that she isn't sure she can ever break.  When he brings home another young girl, Julia realizes how dangerous he has become.  She can't quite figure out how to escape her living "hell" and desert the only family she has ever known.  

What I Thought Of It:  It is hard to believe this is a debut novel.  The writing is "ABSOLUTE" perfection.  This is one of those stories that takes hold of your mind, your thoughts, and your heart; without letting go until the very last word.  The story is not an easy one to read and may not be for all readers.  There are some tough subject matters that includes abuse, incest, and emotional punishment.  Despite these difficult topics, the reading of this novel was intense, heart-wrenching, and memorable.  I don't think I've ever read anything quite as powerful.  It reminded me a bit of the novel A Little Life which is one of my favorites. 

Who Should Read It:   It isn't easy to say who should read this.  I love to recommend novels, but sometimes get a bit apprehensive when it comes to a story like this one.  The reader needs to be ok with ddysfunction and tough subject matter.  The writing was top notch and the plot was engrossing.  Definitely an adult novel.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment