Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Pablo and Birdy by Allison McGhee

How I Heard About It:  While browsing my Cloud Library app I ran across this title and recognized Allison's name.  I downloaded it and spent the last week or so listening to it during my commute to and from work.  

What It Is About:  Pablo and his parrot Birdy arrived at the sea-side town of Isla and no one is quite sure where they came from.  Pablo is about to turn ten, or at least they think he is turning 10, and begins to question his beginnings, where he came from, and how he ended up in the small village.  Most of the birds and parrots in this area have the ability to talk and communicate.  All of them except Birdy.  She has never said a word.  Pablo and the people who surround him, know that it is the bird that holds the answers to Pablo's past and why he was sent off alone with his companion.  Everyone wonders if they will ever get the answers, and when Birdy slowly begins to "talk", Pablo realizes he could get the answers he has been searching for.  But with this information, might come some consequences that Pablo isn't sure he is ready to face.  

What I Thought Of It:  I enjoyed the adventure of Pablo and Birdy.  The story reminded me a bit of Beyond the Bright Sea which I recently finished.  Both stories involve a character searching for answers and where they came from.  I liked the cultural flare of the story and the charming characters.  It was cool that Allison herself narrated the story and did an incredible job.  Such an enjoyable audio, sweet story, and showed the power of relationship between boy and animal.  

Who Should Read It:   I think this novel would be best suited for readers in fifth and sixth grade.  I also think middle-school readers would enjoy it just as much.  If a teacher was going to use this as a read aloud, I think listeners could be in grades three, four, and above.  As always, adult readers that read middle-grade books, should definitely look this one up.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment