Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Everything Else in the Universe by Tracy Holczer

How I Heard About It:  How lucky am I!  After reading Tracy's first novel The Secret Hum of a Daisy, she and I became friends both online and in person.  It was exciting to learn her second novel would be coming out in June of 2018.  It was even more exciting to find out she was sending me an advanced copy of the book.  I received it in the mail right at the beginning of my Christmas break and it was the first book that I read and finished during the vacation.  

What It Is About:  Lucy is an only child.  Her parents are orderly, responsible, and always do the proper thing.  That is how she was raised and that is how she lives her life.  Her father spent many years in medical school and is ready for his career.  All of that changes when he is sent to Vietnam to serve as a medical doctor during the war.  Lucy and her mother move themselves from Chicago to California to be closer to relatives while her dad is away at war.  When Lucy finds out her father is returning early, she is beyond excited.  She and her mother, along with a bunch of relatives, welcome him home.  Lucy was hoping things would return to "normal", but quickly realizes how different things are.  Not only is her father different physically, but also emotionally.  Everyone says he just needs time, but Lucy isn't sure she can give it the time it needs.  Her mother sends her to the relatives to spent time with them and to stay out of the way of her father.  While she spends her summer days with a "wacky" group of Italian family, she meets a boy named Milo who is spending the summer with his grandmother.  They hit it off.  When they find a Purple Heart, along with other military items, they began a search to find the owner.  During the search both Lucy and Milo find out about themselves, their families, and what true friendship means.  

What I Thought Of It:  Wow!  I absolutely loved this story.  Tracy's first novel is one of my all-time favorite middle-grade novels.  I was so excited to see what Tracy came up with for her second book.  This one did not disappoint.  The character of Lucy was one of a kind and wove her way into my heart and I know will be there for quite some time.  The relationship between Lucy and her father was touching, thoughtful, and full of hope.  The book could not exist without Milo who I adored.  There were so many beautiful lines scattered throughout the pages.  I think I could have tweeted one from every page.  Tracy Holczer sure has a way with words.  I can't say enough about this story, except be sure to put it on your TBR list for June of 2018.  

Who Should Read It:   I know this will be a novel that I share with my students next fall.  If I get the copy back from my #bookexpedition group before the end of the year, I will read it to them this spring.  I know it will make for a tremendously strong read aloud.  The book could be used for a read aloud in grades four, five, and six. I also think it could be read to middle-school children.  If a reader were to read it independently, they could be in grades five or higher.  I will also be recommending it all of my adult reader friends, teacher friends, and social media friends.  A must read for all.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment