Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Boy Bites Bug by Rebecca Petruck

How I Heard About It:  This novel came to me via the publisher.  I loved the cover and was intrigued by the story.  The reading experience was a quick one and I found it to be a unique one.  

What It Is About:  The story begins with a real "CRUNCH".  Will, because of a friend situation, ends up eating a real-live stinkbug.  This not only causes a crunch in his mouth, but also one with his group of buddies.  Will wanted to protect the new boy in school named Eloy.  His buddy Darryl called him a racial slur and Will didn't want to portray his being OK with it.  By eating the bug, he was shifting the attention from the comment to himself, the bug, and the aftermath.  Now all the kids at school are calling him Bug Boy.  Will and Eloy become friends not only in the classroom, but on the wrestling mat at well.  Each boy helps each other and they begin to become true friends.  This new friendship doesn't make Darryl happy and he just may make life for both Will and Eloy quite difficult.  Will not only faces problems with the "BUGS" in his life, but balancing his loyalties to both of these friends.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I began the story I was excited to see what the story was going to be about.  I thought the beginning scene with the eating of the bugs was fun, thrilling, and perfect for young readers.  As I got into the book, events in the story slowed down a bit, but it was still an enjoyable read.  I kept trying to put myself into the shoes of a ten-year boy and knew they would EAT this type of story up.  On the surface, it is a light-hearted and fun story, but if you dig deeper there are some strong and meaningful life-lessons.  

Who Should Read It:   When this book hits the shelves in May of 2018, I know that readers in grades four, five, and six will truly enjoy it.  I don't like to classify books for boys and/or girls, but I do think male readers will be a better audience for this particular story.  They are going to adore the story line, the boys in the story, and of course all the creepy crawly creatures.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment