Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 26, 2018

One True Way by Shannon Hitchcock

How I Heard About It:  This title came to me via my #bookexpedition group.  I didn't know anything about the story so was excited to read it.  

What It Is About:  Sam and Allie are both in middle-school.  One is the "new" girl and one is the "star" athlete.  Allie wants to make a name for herself and fit in with the crowd. She becomes a school reporter and wants to capture all of the "top" interviews.  One of these interviews is with Sam.  After the interview, the two girls become friends and soon realize they have more in common than they realized.  Each of them is keeping a secret and they find it comforting to have a friend they can confide in.  Life isn't easy for kids that may not fit the 1970's mold.  Not only are these girls hiding secrets, but some of the adult townspeople have sides of them they would rather not have go public.  Some of the families are supportive and others want to "convert" their children into that they think is "normal".  Some families send them to a church called "ONE TRUE WAY".  It is here where young people can truly know themselves and others.  

What I Thought Of It:  A quick read that I thought was very well written.  For me, it was interesting to read about life in the 1970's because many of the events I could relate to being that I grew up in the 70's.  The portrayal of both the adults and the children was thoughtful, realistic, and authentic.  I was impressed that the author presented "both" sides of accepting all children.  By doing this she showed acceptance and also resistance that some friends and family members may feel toward their loved one.  This is going to be an important story for many of our young readers.  

Who Should Read It:   This is a tough one for me to answer.  Amazon states that the book is geared toward grades four through seven.  I would not use this novel in fourth grade.  This is party because I'm teaching in a conservative community.  I also think some of the themes are too mature for readers in grades four and/or five.  In my opinion, the books would be ideal for students in grade six, seven, and eight.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment