Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik by David Arnold

How I Heard About It:  The summer was spent reading mostly middle-grade novels for both my own teaching and being a member on the Charlotte Huck Book Awards committee.  I did want to read some young-adult so I bought this book along with several others.  I started reading it in hard-copy, but ended up listening to it via Audible.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Noah is in high school and on the swim team.  He actually may get a college scholarship for his swimming ability.  The funny thing is he is pretending to have a back injury because he doesn't know if he wants swimming to be his life.  


2.  *While Noah is at a party with his two best friends, he ends up getting hypnotized by a student and his life is completely changed.  He begins to see strange things, the people in his life are different, and certain events just don't make sense.  

3.  *Noah tries to navigate this new world while keeping his old one in tact.  It isn't easy and he is faced with several difficult and "strange" situations.  

4.  *When Noah finally "reenters" the real world, he is shocked to learn that something awful has occurred to his best friend Allen.  

5.  *Noah has to find a way to be truthful with his friends, his parents, and mostly all himself.  He takes a journey that alters everything he has known and will become.  


What I Thought Of It:  I'm always drawn to David Arnold novels, but never quite sure what to think of them. The author certainly has a way of mixing the real world with a world of fantasy.  As I was reading, there were times when I was a bit confused on what was going on.  I wasn't sure what was actually happening and what was maybe happening in Noah's brain and/or thoughts.  Once I figured events out toward the middle half, the plot clicked and I began to enjoy the story more.  The relationships between these young people was the strongest aspect for me.  I really could tell how much Noah's friends meant to him.  It was a "strange" read, but I've come to expect that from David Arnold.  


Who Should Read It:   I've seen that many readers have given this novel either 4 and/or 5 stars.  I think there is definitely a specific audience that loves and eats up anything that David Arnold writes.  The novel may be a bit more geared toward the young-adult audience, but I'm sure there are adult readers who would also find it a satisfying read.  Just know it won't be a linear story line.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment