Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

How I Heard About It:  I can't remember exactly when I first heard of his novel and/or what source, but it was a title I added to my TBR list.  After first seeing a review, I then saw it mentioned in several different publications.  I bought the Audible version so I could listen to and from work.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The "marsh girl", Kya Clark, grew up in a small town on the North Carolina coast.  She began with a family, but one by one, each family member either left her or disappeared.  

2.  *As a little girl she spent hours, days, and months alone out in the march country.  She would explore her surroundings and become one with nature.  

3.  *As a young teenager she meant Tate and let her heart open with feelings for him.  He too ended up leaving her alone.  Her heart became closed and hard again.  

4.  *The town "stud" shows an intense interest in Kya and she isn't sure how she should handle this.  They begin a secret relationship.  Chase keeps her at a distant from his family and friends.  

5.  *Years later when Chase ends up dead, Kya is the prime suspect.  She is thrown in jail and faces a jury of her peers to decide her fate.  


What I Thought Of It:  This was one of the best audio books I've listened to.  The narrator was top-notch and so easy to listen to.  I was captivated by Kya's story and what she had to endure.  My heart hurt on more than one occasion.  The format going back and forth between when Kya and Chase were young; and after he was killed, worked well for the plot.  Not only was this a mystery, but definitely a character study.  It is truly a well written piece of fiction.  


Who Should Read It:  I will be recommending this novel to all of my adult friend that read fictional literature.  I know they will not be disappointed.  The characters, plot, and setting will appeal to all readers.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment