Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 18, 2019

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried by Shaun David Hutchinson

How I Heard About It:  When I saw that Shaun David Hutchinson had a new novel out, I was thrilled.  His previous works of fiction brought me hours of reading enjoyment.  If you haven't read any of his novels, I highly recommend them.  My favorite book is The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Dino is in high school.  He is gay with a new relationship.  

2.  *July is also in high school.  She use to be Dino's best friend.  Then she died.

3.  *Dino's family runs the local funeral home.  As he begins to prepare July for her funeral, he is quite surprised to find her alive.  

4.  *The two of them aren't quite sure what has happened, but they spend the next two days together.

5.  *During this time, Dino and July rehash the past and what got got them to the place from being best friends to not speaking at all.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I love going into a Shaun David Hutchinson novel because I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get, but I know it is going to be incredible.  

2.  *I found both Dino and July to be unique, fresh, and interesting characters.  

3.  *There were moments when I was laughing out loud in my car as I listened to the story unfold.  There were also times when I found my eyes watering.  

4.  *As I listened to the story, I thought wouldn't it be wonderful if the people we have lost could come back to us, if only for a bit, so we could work out the "past".

5.  *The friendship between Dino and July will remain in my mind and heart for quite some time.  


Who Should Read It:   Of course if you have read any of Shaun's other books, then you must put this new title on your TBR list.  I think this is the perfect novel for high school and/or college readers.  Adult readers would also find it a satisfying experience.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment