Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, March 1, 2019

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

How I Heard About It:  After seeing this novel written up with a positive review, I decided to choose it for the next selection of the BBC (Boy's Book Club).  We will be discussing on our winter guy's weekend March 8-10th.  I hope the other "boys" enjoyed it as much as I did.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Alicia Berenson is a famous artist.  She is married to a famous photographer.  One night when he returns home, she shoots him and doesn't utter another word.  


2.  *Alicia is committed to a private facility where she remains silent and doesn't show any kinds of signs of recovery or progress.  

3.  *Theo Faber is a psychotherapist who has always had in interest in Alicia's situation and how she got to where she is.  

4.  *He secures a position at the medical center where Alicia lives and does everything in his power to obtain access to the notorious killer and find out what truly happened to her and her dead husband.  

5.  *Theo and Alicia begin to work together.  Day after day he peels away the layers of Alicia, her husband, and what brought them to the fateful night.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *It has been quite some time that I have put a complete page-turner in my hands.  This was that page-turner that I needed.  

2.  *I enjoyed the mystery, the suspense, and all the intrigue that was contained within the pages.  

3.  *The plot wasn't your typical "who done it".  The writing was fresh, the characters were unique, and the twists and turns were original.  

4.  *As I look back at the reading experience, I'm surprised I didn't see what was happening right before my eyes.  That seems to happen to me a lot.  I don't always see the obvious.  I'm not sure what that says about me as a reader.  

5.  *I'm looking forward to chatting with the other members of my book club and digging into the story and getting other readers perspectives.  


Who Should Read It:   I can't imagine any person not enjoying this story.  It really is the perfect mystery.  I could see new readers enjoying it as well as the avid reader who tears through book after book.  This novel published for adults is a must-read.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4+ STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment