Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 17, 2021

The World Played Chess by Robert Dugoni

How I Heard About It:
*One of my favorite novels published for adults is The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell.  If you haven't read it, you really must.  When I found out Robert Dugoni had written a new novel, I was thrilled and excited to read.  And the cover was unreal and so engaging.  I couldn't wait to read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The year is 1979 and Vincent has graduated from high school and looking forward to his last summer before college.

*The year is 1967 and William is a young man who finds himself in the middle of the Vietnam War.  

*William kept a journal during his time during one of the most horrific events in our country's history.

*When Vincent and William meet on a construction crew, both of their lives will be forever changed.

*Years later, the lessons Vincent learned from William are passed to his own high-school son who is experiencing this own growing pains.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I absolutely loved this story.

*Robert Dugoni has such a talent for weaving a story together that is both captivating and enthralling.  

*The characters of Vincent and William were authentic, thoughtful, and honest.  

*As I neared the end of the story when many events came "together", I found myself quite emotional.  Now that is good writing.  

*As much as I recommend, the Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell to fellow readers, I will now be adding this title to the recommendation list.


Who Should Read It:
*I can't imagine one reader not enjoying the story.  I can see high-school, college, and adult readers all being swept away by Robert's writing and story telling.  This is a story the reader will not soon forget.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment