Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 29, 2023

A Work in Progress by Jarrett Lerner

How I Heard About It:
*I've known Jarrett for several years now.  He was kind enough to send me an ARC of his upcoming novel which will be released in May 2023.  I was excited to read because everyone who has had the privilege of reading an advanced copy, has had nothing but stellar comments about the story.  I sat down yesterday afternoon and didn't get back up until I finished the book.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Will is fat.  He knows it.  He now knows his classmates know it.

*He has learned to protect himself from others by piling on the "layers".

*Will is retreating further and further away from everyone and taking refuge within his drawings.

*While escaping the toxic environment of the school cafeteria, Will meets a new student Marcus.

*Will takes on his own "demons" with both positive and negative outcomes.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*I have never read anything quite like this book.  The story blew me away.

*The format was engrossing, engaging, and so entertaining.

*All the feels were displayed on each and every page:  sympathy, compassion, sadness, outrage, and complete joy.

*Even though Will's story was about his weight, I found myself relating to many of the themes and aspects of his story.  While reading, I was brought back to my elementary school days.  

*Will's story will be an important one upon its release in May.  I can't wait to share with my students.


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the format, the book would be ideal to put in the hands of individual readers so they are able to take it all the story has to offer; including both the text and illustrations.  The story will be perfect for upper elementary and middle-school students.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5+ STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment