Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Winners by Fredrik Backman

How I Heard About It:
*My BBC (Boy's Book Club) is a group of men I have been teaching with for years.  We started our book club back in 2000.  Our book club read the first two stories in the "Beartown" series.  When the third novel was released we knew we had to pick it as a book club selection.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The third and final installment picks up where the second novel left off.

*There are still many hard feelings between the residents of Beartown and Hed.

*Two characters who fled Beartown will find themselves back for their own reasons.

*A major storm, a death, and a fight will change the residents of both towns.

*The story centers around the sport of hockey, but so much more is involved in both towns.

What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was excited to revisit the characters, the towns, and the conflict everyone was dealing with.  

*The start of the novel was strong, engaging, and I was thrilled to be reading.

*As I got further into the story, the plot slowed down and I found myself struggling.

*There were a lot of words on each and every page and I began to skim parts of the story.

*Even though I read the first two stories, I found it difficult to keep track of all the characters and who they were and what their role was in both towns.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would say readers who have read the first two novels, should definitely consider the third and final book.  It isn't an easy read, but I know plenty of readers who loved the trilogy.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment