Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

World Made of Glass by Ami Polonsky

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade title came to me via the publisher.  Both the cover and title grabbed my attention and I was curious to dive in.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Iris has a lot to deal with.

*Her parents divorced, her dad came out, and then become quite ill.

*Iris splits her time between her mother's New York apartment and her father's along with his partner.

*Iris tries to act normal in front of her friends, but would really like to open up and share her reality.

*After a tragic event, Iris finds herself being an advocate for the many people in 1980's New York city who seem to have no voice.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was strong, engaging, and emotional.

*The story takes place in the 80's just as the Aids epidemic was on all the front pages.  As I read, the story brought me back to that time when I was in high school.

*The story line and content were quite serious, realistic, and raw.

*The author wrote a tremendous story that showed what our country was facing during an unknown epidemic and time in our history.

*I believe young readers will have a lot of questions after reading the story.  


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the story line and topics, I would recommend the novel for readers in grades six and above.  If a family were to share the reading of the story, then I could see it being used with younger children.  In my opinion it would be perfect in a middle-school setting.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment