Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The Witch of Woodland by Laurel Snyder

How I Heard About It:
*I was excited to see that Laurel Snyder has a new middle-grade novel out in the world.  I decided to download the title via Audible and have been listening the past few weeks.  And what a listen it was!


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*This is a story told by Zippy who recalls all the events that have been going on in her life.

*Life use to be simple and perfect when she and Bea were best friends, enjoyed the same activities, and didn't have to fit in with the other girls.  

*Now life has changed for Zippy.  Bea has ventured off to be with the "cool" girls, Zippy is convinced she is a witch, and her mother is pressuring her to celebrate her Jewish side.

*After finding a strange book, Zippy casts a spell and a girl appears and becomes a new friend.

*This new friend seems to be the answer, but then Zippy begins to lose some memories, and her new friend experiences changes as well.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was excellent; so easy and fun to listen to.

*I thought the introduction to the story was incredible, strong, and made me wonder where the plot was going to head.  

*I loved how the novel included Zippy's actual story and included her writing process and thoughts.  

*The story line was captivating and kept me engaged throughout the listening.

*Zippy was such a unique, adventurous, and spunky young girl.  I enjoyed getting to know her as the story unfolded.


Who Should Read It:
*If you know of any young reader who has enjoyed previous Laurel Snyder novels, has an interest in magic, spells, and witchcraft; then this is the book for them.  I would say it is geared toward the fifth and sixth grade reader along with any middle-school student.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment