Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Like a Charm by Elle McNicoll

How I Heard About It:
*Publisher Random House sent me a variety of ARC's and this title was one of them.  I so enjoyed Elle McNicoll's novel A Kind of Spark so I was excited to read her upcoming middle grade novel.  The book will be released in October 2023.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Ramya has been labeled "different" and a "troublemaker".  Even her parents get annoyed with her.  

*She is nuerodivergent and is alright with that.  Her grandfather is also fine with exactly who she is.  He is one of the few people who is.  

*She finds comfort in his support so when Ramya's grandfather passes away, she isn't quite sure how to deal with the loss.

*Ramya learns her grandfather has left her a special book for her and only her.

*It is because of this book, she learns she and her grandfather possess a special magic which leads her to a whole other world.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As with Like a Spark, this story deals with a character who is nuerodivergent and what it is like to navigate the world.  

*This time around, the main character has magical abilities and travels between the "real" and "magical" worlds.  

*The story centers around Ramya and all that she is capable of, and not what she isn't capable of.  I so appreciate this focus.

*The plot switches between the real world and the magical world which I know young readers will so enjoy.  

*There are lots of great life lesson and the one I took away most was the good/positive will always win over bad/negative.


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the story for readers in grade five and above.  If you have read previous novels by Elle McNicoll, I would suggest you add this upcoming title to your TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment