Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent

H
ow I Heard About It:
*This novel published for adults popped up on many different social media sites I typically look at when searching for a new book to read.  I downloaded the title via Audible and listened to it while walking on my daily walks.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*When Sally's father dies, she thinks she should incinerate him.  This of course outrages most of the people in her small Irish village.

*Sally knows she is different from other people, but for the most part is happy with herself.

*After her father's death, she begins to learn and uncover the truth of her early days as a young girl.

*The more she learns, the more the rest of the world begins to focus on Sally and her past.  

*Sally must come to terms with her past, the family she never knew, and how present day relationships will shape the rest of her life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I don't think I've ever read/listened to a story quite like this one.  

*This plot was disturbing, horrific, and raw.  I just had to keep reminding myself it was FICTION.

*I don't mind "dark" storylines and this one sure fit the bill.  Might not be for everyone, but a fascinating and intriguing story.  

*Sally was a thoughtful, sensitive, and sympathetic character.  I so rooted for her through the entire story.

*When I closed the "book", I literally don't think I've ever encountered such a horrific character that both Sally and others had to endure.


Who Should Read It:
*As I mentioned above, this may not be the story for all adult readers.  It is quite dark, uncomfortable at times, and disturbing.  But once I started, I really couldn't stop listening and thought about Sally and her life even when I wasn't listening to it.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment