Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 15, 2023

DogTown by Katherine Applegate and Gennifer Choldenko

How I Heard About It:
*This new novel by a dynamic duo has been on my radar for quite some time.  I actually preordered the book.  With September being so busy, I didn't get to the story until October.  Once I started, I couldn't stop reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Chance is an actual dog who ended up in DogTown when his owners made a mistake.

*Metal Head is a robot dog who ended up in DogTown when his owner outgrew him.

*Both dogs make the best of their living situation in the "pound", but their hearts at back at home.

*Typically the real dogs and robot dog don't mix and keep their distance.  

*When Chance and Metal Head come to an understanding, they team up for an adventure of their lifetime.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I so enjoyed the story and know that my fourth grade readers will devour the pages just as I did.

*I'm a dog lover so I was hooked on page one and pretty much read the entire story in one sitting.

*Young readers will be drawn into the novel because of the short chapters, entertaining illustrations, and a fast-paced plot.  

*The combination of real and robot dogs was unique, fresh, and a whole lot of fun.

*There were so many heart-warming and humorous moments; a perfect combination.  


Who Should Read It:
*As I was reading, what I kept thinking is this is the perfect novel for some of the younger readers.  I think children in second, third, and fourth grade would be the spot-on audience.  Of course older kids would also get a kick out of Chance and Robot Head.  The story has something for everyone.  Happy Reading!   


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment