Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Gather by Kenneth M. Cadow

How I Heard About It
*A member of the book awards committee I'm on suggested this young-adult novel to our community members.  I ordered the book and have been reading it over the last several days.  While I was reading the story, I came to learn it was a 2023 National Books Award Finalist.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*"Gather" a dog, comes into Ian's life just when Ian needs him most.

*Ian's life hasn't been easy, being extremely poor and with a mother who struggles; he isn't sure where he fits in.

*Even though Ian could be a basketball star at his high school, he decides to quit so he can obtain a job and help his mother financially.  

*As Ian tries to balance life at home, school, and in the wild; he finds refuge with his new friend Gather.

*He thinks his life is turning around, he is shocked and dismayed when tragedy strikes his family.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I can see why this young-adult novel was award the National Book Award.

*The story was written with heart, realness, and emotion.

*The style of writing was a bit different and took awhile to get used to, but once I did, I found the story even more engaging.  

*The character of Ian was one of the most compelling and heart-warming characters I've had the pleasure of getting to know through a novel.  

*Themes of family, acceptance, courage, and perseverance were woven throughout each and every page.  


Who Should Read It:
*I've read that every high-school student should be required to read Gather.  I agree.  I also know that adult readers will find great satisfaction and joy reading about Ian's journey during a difficult time in his life.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment