Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 25, 2023

And Then, Boom! by Lisa Fipps

How I Heard About It
*I picked this up during #NCTE23 in Columbus, Ohio.  I brought it with me on a flight from Minneapolis to Denver for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I read the entire story during that flight and LOVED every minute of it.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Joe and his grandmother rely on each other for survival.

*Joe's mother can't be depended on and "disappears" often.

*Joe does everything in his power to make sure he and his grandmother are safe from harm, the streets, and from going hungry.

*After a heartbreaking moment in Joe's life, he finds himself alone, scared, and not sure what his next move should be.

*With the help of a couple of buddies, a giving older gentleman, and some new pups, Joe navigates a world that no young boy should have to.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm not normally fan of a novel in verse, but I absolutely LOVED every word in this book.

*I was HOOKED the minute I began the story.

*There were so many moments when my heart actually hurt and I wanted to jump into the pages and rescue Joe.

*Something an author's "sophomore' novel doesn't measure up to their debut, but that is NOT the case here.  This story is very bit as good as Starfish, if not better.

*Joe's story will be a window for most readers, but also a mirror for those readers that need the story the most.


Who Should Read It:
*I know I will be sharing this ARC with my current fourth grade class during the 2023/24 school year.  It is going to make for an excellent class read aloud.  So many rich and important discussions will come from the experiences Joe endured.  I think it is the perfect novel for readers in grades four through six along with all middle-school students.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment