Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 25, 2023

The Lost Year by Katherine Marsh

How I Heard About It
*I downloaded this title via Audible because I heard it was a powerful and impactful story.  This book kept me company during my commute for a couple of weeks.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*One part of the story is about Matthew during the pandemic shut down.

*His father is stranded in France, and his mother has moved in her 100-year-old grandmother. 

*After finding a photograph in his great-grandmother's materials, he begins spending more and more time with her learning about her childhood in the USSR.

*She shares her experience during the Ukrainian famine.  

*The story alternates between present day with Matthew and the 1930's when Matthew's great-grandmother was a young girl during a horrific time period in history.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was an enjoyable listen and I learned a lot about this particular time in history.

*As a reader, I enjoyed how the story went back and forth in time; while coming together toward the conclusion.

*It was also interesting to read about the 2020 pandemic and how it affected Matthew's family.

*There were portions of the plot that moved a bit slow for me, but overall the story held my interest.

*The author did a wonderful job of shedding light on the famine of the 1930's the the impact it had on so many people in the USSR.


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the length and contest of the story, I would recommend the book for readers in grades five and six along with middle-school students.  If you know of a young reader who particular enjoys historical fiction, this is the novel for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment