Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 1, 2024

Olivetti by Allie Millington

How I Heard About It
*I picked up this ARC at the Macmillian booth during #NCTE23. After talking with the representative about the story line, I was so thrilled to have a copy.  I finally got around to reading it over my Christmas break.  It was the last book of 23 and first book of 24 and I couldn't have picked a better novel to end the year and start the year.  Absolutely wonderful!


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Olivetti is a typewriter.  A typewriter that has been part of the Brindle family for longer than he can remember.

*The Brindle family are a busy family and don't have much time for an old typewriter, especially with the introduction of technology.  Even with the ever changing world, Mrs. Brindle still finds the time and need to spend with Olivetti sharing her "stories"; because typewriters are the keepers of our stories.

*Ernest is the youngest member of the Brindle family, but unlike the rest of his family, he prefers to spend time alone with his books.  

*After Ernest's mother drops the typewriter off at the local pawn shop and disappears, Ernest begins a search like no other.

*Little does Ernest know, but Olivetti holds the answers to all the questions he is on a search for. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Based on the conversation with the Macmillian representative during #NCTE, the title and cover, and reviews by other readers; I was so excited when I began the story.  

*I don't think I've ever read a story quite like this one.  I mean who wouldn't want an old typewriter to come to life and help in a time of crisis.

*The writing was beautiful, the characters were engaging, and the story line was full of heart and emotion.  

*Not only did the mystery of Mrs. Brindle missing drive the plot forward, but the interaction between Ernest and Olivetti.

*So many wonderful life lessons were spread throughout the story and some of the most beautiful lines of writing.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm looking forward to sharing the novel with my fourth graders during the spring of 2024.  I think the novel is suitable for readers in grades three, four, and five.  The book would also be perfect for middle-school readers.  The story is quite special and should be shared with as many readers as possible.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment