Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 6, 2024

The Worlds We Leave Behind by A.F. Harrold

How I Heard About It
*A friend who is also an avid reader, suggested this title to me.  She commented the story was like nothing else she had ever read.  I downloaded the title via Audible and have been listening to the story over the last couple of weeks.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story begins with a young boy named Hex who doesn't always make the best decisions which land him in trouble.  

*After his latest trouble, he finds himself in a clearing with a house he has never seen before.  It is here he meets a strange old woman and her dog.

*He is offered a deal that will change his life.  He isn't sure if he should accept the offer, and also doesn't know the same thing has happened to others.

*The next day his best friend wakes up, and realizes the his world feels and appears different.

*Tommo begins to ask questions and searches for ways to figure out what is truly going on.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*After listening to the first chapter, I texted by friend and told her I was "confused".  She said keep listening.

*Once I got a bit of an idea of what was happening, the story started to become a bit more clear.

*Then the plot turned, and I was confused once again.

*This mysterious story was well written, had a lot going on, and traveled between multiple worlds. 

*I really tried to listen intently, but found it difficult to truly ever understand what was truly going on.


Who Should Read It:
*This middle-grade novel was not for me, but I'm sure there are readers out there who would appreciate the mystery, suspense, and alternating worlds.  The story is advertised for middle-grade readers, but I would say the book would be geared toward the middle-school and high-school reader.  Some adult readers might also enjoy.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment