Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 19, 2024

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

How I Came Across It... *I first read the novel back in 2015 and was blown away by the story. My school book club was looking for a summer novel to take us through the weeks we would be away from the building. This title came up and we went with it. I created a reading schedule and we check in via email every week and a half. Being that it was so long since I first read, this second reading was almost like reading it for the first time. What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *The novel centers around four college friends: Jude, Willem, Malcolm, and JB. They are each quite different from each other, but have a special bond.

*As you can further into the novel, the story begins to focus on Jude and his upbringing.

*Jude is very secretive about his past and refuses to share with his three best friends.

*The four friends grow up, take on different professions, and navigate the difficulties of their lives.

*Jude struggles with his past and has great difficulties getting past the trauma.
What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *As I mentioned, this felt like the first time I read the book.  I had forgotten so much of the plot.

*The beginning of the story is a bit slow, but once you get going, it becomes quite compelling, engaging, and emotional.

*The writer did such a tremendous job of creating characters that really came to life and I find myself thinking about them, especially Jude.  

*This is one of the gut-wrenching stories I have ever experienced.  So many difficult and painful situations that are presented throughout the novel.

*The conclusion is heart-breaking and took from time to get beyond.  


Who Should Read It... *This is a long novel, with a slow and detailed beginning, but I think most adult readers will find it an incredible read. The reader does have to be comfortable with difficult situations and events and be aware of the sensitive and triggering situations that are written about. Happy Reading!
Rating...
5 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment