Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 29, 2024

The Wolf at the Table by Adam Rapp

How I Came Across It... *At the beginning of the summer I was browsing online for novels published for adults that I could read during my summer vacation. I came across this title, read the summary, and ordered myself a copy. I have been reading it slowly during the months of June and July. What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *The story begins in the year 1951 with the Larkin family, which includes a quiet father, a demanding mother, four sisters, and one lone brother.

*As the children grow up, they each go their own way to carve out a life away from the town they grew up in.

*Myra becomes a nurse, meets a man, and has a son.

*The other three sisters each try to find happiness, but struggle to do so.

*And Alec, escapes the family and lives a life that his family is completely unaware of. What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *This was a well-written novel with a deep-dive into character development.  

*The story centers mostly on the sister Myra and Alec, but also spends time Myra's son and her other siblings.  

*The plot was a bit disjointed for me as it shifted from character to character and jumped in time periods.

*There were times when I was confused on what the family knew, and didn't know, about Alec.

*As slow as the plot was, I did enjoy the overall reading experience and am glad I kept reading the almost 500 page novel.


Who Should Read It... *I definitely think this is a novel for the reader who enjoys a slow burn, beautiful writing, and a character centered story. There are several difficult scenes and the reader should know there isn't a whole lot of hope throughout the novel. Happy Reading!

Rating...
3 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment