Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wonder Wednesday #2 (Wonders of Friendship)

I'm back for my second WONDER blog post.  I wasn't sure what I was going to blog about today until late this afternoon.  It was when I took a photograph that the idea for this week's WONDER post came to me. 

Today we celebrated the 100th day of school.  It is hard to believe that many days have come and gone since the start of the 2012-2013 school year.  My team came up with the idea of hosting a "Winter Fun Day" for our fourth grade students.  We sent out the invite to all of our students to bring their winter gear, their skates, their sleds, and their excitement for an afternoon of fun.

Many of the students chose to ice skate.  We provided skates for those students that didn't have any of their own skates.  As I went around and took pictures of my students in action, a particular sight caught my eye.  One of my students had never skated before.  She put on a borrowed set of skates and headed to the ice with a huge smile on her face.  It was what happened next, that brought a sense of absolute WONDER to my heart.

As she struggled on the ice on her own, another girl from my class went over and told her to put her arm around her.  They began to skate together.  Soon after this, two more of my girls went over and formed a line around the girl who was learning how to skate.  I took a picture of the four of them with huge smiles on their faces.  It was as they skated by me, that I took the picture that I included here.  It was such a heart-warming sight.  Four girls working together for the success of one person.  These are the moments that make teaching worth it.  It brought joy, happiness, and WONDER to my heart. 

Look for the WONDERS in your life each and every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment