Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 29, 2015

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera...

How I Heard About It:  This is another novel that I heard a lot about before it even was released.  Many of my "Twitter" friends raved about this young adult book letting me know it would be a story I would for sure want to read.  

What It Is About:  Aaron Soto is a high school boy living in the Bronx Projects with his brother and mother.  They are dealing with the suicide of their father.  Aaron is trying to fit in with a group of "poor" and "wild" teenagers while dealing with many personal issues.  There is much he would like to FORGET about his past.  That is where the Leteo Institute comes in.  They are a medical facility that has come up with "procedures" to erase certain memories.  Aaron thinks this is just what he needs.  His family and friends are not so sure.  Aaron tries a relationship with an upper-class girl.  He also tries a new friendship with Thomas, a new kid on the block.  Thomas is very different from the other guys in the neighborhood which is a welcome relief to Aaron.  Even with all these new changes and effort, Aaron realizes he may never be able to forget his past or who he truly is.

What I Thought Of It:   This was an amazing story.  I didn't know much about the "plot" and that made for such an enjoyable read.  The beginning of the book was a little slow and pretty basic, but then all of a 
sudden you realize things have picked up and what a complex and intriguing story you are reading.  The premise of being able to "forget" your past was interesting and maybe a tad bit "science fiction", but it worked so well in this book.  The character of Aaron was heart-warming and someone you just wanted to protect from life.  The more I got into this book, the more I could not put it down.  The final pages were read late into the night and I was sad when I was done with this amazing story.

Who Should Read It:  The novel is perfect for the high school and adult reader.  The subject matter is mature, but also one that definitely can be related to by many young-adult readers.  I also know that adult readers who enjoy great fiction, will find this a satisfying read.  It is one that I will be recommending to all of my reader friends.  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment