Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Lost Prayers of Ricky Graves by James Han Mattson

How I Heard About It:  I was growing Audible looking for something to listen to when I came across this novel published for adults.  The title and cover caught my attention.  After a bit of online research and seeing many rave reviews, I decided to buy it and give it a "listen".  

What It Is About:  Told from multiple perspectives, this is the story of Ricky Graves.  Ricky is a loner in high school that can't quite find his place in the world.  He lives with his mother.  He also has an older sister that left home at an early age.  Ricky begins an online "conversation" with a man across the country named Jeremy.  Jeremy is a gay man living his life with a partner.  Ricky is trying to figure out who and what he is.  He does this by venturing into the world of cyber "talk".  At first he lies to Jeremy about his age, education, and living situation.  The more these two men communicate online, the more Ricky opens up about his life.  Jeremy encourages Ricky to be himself and find a group of kids that are similar to himself.  Ricky begins to have feelings for another boy at his high school.  He finds the strength to be honest and truthful with this young man.  This decision comes with dire consequences.  The reader learns of Ricky's story via his sister, his mother, Jeremy, and a classmate.  

What I Thought Of It:  The Lost Prayers of Ricky Graves is one of the best novels published for adults I've read/listened to in a long time.  I've been reading excellent middle-grade and young-adult books, but have had a hard time finding that "perfect" adult novel.  Well folks, this story was really good.  The audio was wonderful.  There were several mornings when I arrived at school and didn't get out of the car because I wanted to continue listening to the story.  I love that the story was told from multiple perspectives because it made for a full-fledged reading experience.  As a reader I got a 360 degree view of Ricky and what he endured in his lifetime.  The plot is timely, relevant, and necessary.  One of my most favorite things is when I stumble upon a book that I know nothing of and it turns out to be a strong, enjoyable, and memorable experience.  That is exactly what happened with this title   

Who Should Read It:   This is a must-read for all adult readers that enjoy strong fictional literature.  The characters are strong.  The plot is real.  The emotions are high.  This book really has everything that a reader would want.  I highly recommend it.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment