Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Bob by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead

How I Heard About It:  There are some titles that just get praise from all of the advance readers.  This is one such book.  I have been reading and seeing so many excellent reviews, thoughts, and praise for this upcoming novel.  I couldn't wait to read it.  I was so pleased when it arrived in my mailbox from a member of my #bookexpedition group.  I read it in two sittings.  It did NOT disappoint.  

What It Is About:   After being away from her grandmother's house in Australia, Livy has returned with her mother for a visit.  Upon her return, she feels like she is forgetting something important from five years earlier.  Livy is surprise, and pleased, when she discovers an old friend up in her room at her grandmother's house.  It is Bob.  Bob is short and green creature.  This may seem strange enough, but he also dresses in a chicken suit.  Bob has been waiting in the closet for five years for Livy to return.  Now that she has, Bob wants her to fulfill her promise of finding out who Bob is and where he came from.  The more time Livy spends with Bob, the more she begins to remember of her time with Bob.  The two of them set off on an adventure to discover Bob's past and reunite him with his family.  

What I Thought Of It:  I absolutely adored this story.  From page one, I was enthralled in the story of Livy and Bob.  I was intrigued by their relationship.  I was thrilled during their moments of adventure.  I was touched with the love between these two incredible characters.  There were so many thought-provoking moments and times when I had to reread a sentence, passage, or page to take it all in.  The writing was spot-on.  The plot was unique.  The characters are two of the most special ones I've read about in a long time.  When I finished I couldn't wait to share the title with my class.  

Who Should Read It:  We just had our "Breakfast with Books" book club last week with Elly Swartz where we talked about Smart Cookie.  I was thinking that was going to be our final title of the year.  Once I read this book, I knew we had to do one more.  The book is being released on May 1st and my students are extremely excited to get their hands on the book.  The story is perfect for readers in upper elementary and/or middle-school.  This is a true GEM.  Happy Reading!    

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment