Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 20, 2024

Tree Table Book by Lois Lowry

How I Came Across It... When I saw that Lois Lowry had a new novel, I knew I had to read it. When I saw the cover, I knew I had to read it. When I read the title, I knew I had to read it. Ordered, arrived, read!!! What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *Sophie Gershowitz is eighty-eight years old. *Sophia Winslow is eleven years old.

*The two Sophies are the best of friends.

*When the young Sophia learns that the older Sophie is having trouble with her memory, she is bound and determined to help her friend.

*She sets out to find a way to truly find out what is going on with her older best friend because that is what best friends do. What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *It has been quite a while since I have read a Lois Lowry novel, but it sure was incredible to get back to one of her stories. *This was a beautiful story of friendship.

*My own mother suffered from Alzheimer's Disease, so I think the story touched on a personal level.

*As young Sophia spends time with older Sophie, she helps her open her mind to the stories of yesterday.

*A perfect story with themes of friendship, compassion, and empathy. Who Should Read It...
*I look forward to using this novel next year as a class read aloud in my fourth grade classroom. I think it is the perfect story for readers in grades three, four, and five. Middle-school readers will also enjoy the story of the two Sophie's. Happy Reading! Rating... 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment