Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Real Americans by Rachel Khong

How I Came Across It... *This novel published for adults was chosen as our first staff book club selection for the 2024/25 school year. The members read it during the month of September and met on October 3rd to discuss our thoughts about the story. What It's About - Five Things You Need to Know... *Lily and Matthew meet at the end of 1999 just before Y2K.

*They could not be more different, but begin a romance.

*After a short separation, they reunite with Lily becoming pregnant.

*They don't remain together, but Lily raises a son on her own.

*When their son is grown, he begins to question his mother about his father and begins a relationship with the man he never knew. What I Thought of It - Five Observations/Reflections... *I enjoyed the first half of the novel. I was drawn into Lily and her son's story.

*Once I began the section about Lily's mother, I found myself losing interest in the plot.

*The overall reading of the book was easy, but I wasn't always engaged in what was happening.

*The members of the staff book club seemed as though they enjoyed the story more than I did.  

*This book sure got a lot of "buzz", but after reading I'm not sure why.  

Who Should Read It... *I do think this is the perfect novel published for adults that could be used in book clubs. There is quite a bit to discuss, ponder, and share ideas. Happy Reading!

Rating...
3 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment