Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Astonishing Maybe by Shaunta Grimes

How I Heard About It:   Whenever I get a package from a member of my #bookexpedition group, it always puts a smile on my face.  I had forgotten I added my name to the document for this upcoming title so it was an extra surprise of happiness when it arrived.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *Gideon and his family have just relocated from the East Coast to Nevada.  He isn't thrilled about this move, but doesn't have a choice in the matter.  

2.  *Once he arrives in the new town, he immediately meets Roona.  She is the only kid around the neighborhood so he figures he may give their friendship a shot.  

3.  *Gideon comes from a "rigid" family with rules, expectations and safety.  Roona lives with her free-spirited mother and lives a life in which she wants to be a "super hero".  

4.  *As the two new friends spend more and more time together, they realize how different they are, but also have much they enjoy hanging out.  Roona enlists the help of Gideon to find her father; who she believes in serving in the military.  

5.  *The two begin an adventure to locate a missing father that will push Gideon beyond all the limits he has grown up with.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I was drawn into the story right from page one.  I found Gideon to be a tender boy who wanted to experience more from life than his parents were willing to allow him.  

2.  *For as much as Gideon was safe, reliable, and dependable; Roona brought a sense of life, energy, and mystery to the story.  They were the perfect balance.

3.  *The story of Roona, her mother, and father were of the most interest to me.  I was fascinated to learn about the mother's "illness" and where Roona's father was.  

4.  *The fantasy/mystery of the baked goods was such a special and heart-warming aspect of the entire story.  After reading, I wanted to get busy in the kitchen and whip up some tasty-treats.

5.  *I appreciated the length of the chapters, the book itself, and how attainable the story would be for the middle-school reader.  


Who Should Read It:   When the book hits shelves in March of 2019, readers in grades three, four, and five would be absolutely perfect for the journey of Gideon and Roona.  That is not to say that readers in grades six and middle-school wouldn't devour this story in 1-2 sittings like I did.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment