Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

How I Heard About It:   My co-worker, who is also a member of the BBC (Boy's Book Club), chose this novel as our latest selection for our book club.  I knew nothing of the story.  I decided to listen to the book via Audible during my long snowy and cold commutes back and forth from work.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *The story begins on the island of Barbados where eleven year-old George Washington Black is a field slave.  

2.  *George Washington Black (Wash), has been a slave for the plantation owner.  When this man's brother arrives on the plantation, Wash's life is forever changed.

3.  *Christopher Wilde convinces his brother to let him "have" Wash.  The two of them begin an incredible journey into the world of science, inventions, and exploration.  

4.  *Christopher Wilde has created the "cloud cutter" and he wants Wash to help him make this flying contraption a huge success.  

5.  *After their initial "flight", the cloud cutter crashes to the ocean where Christopher and Wash meet an assortment of characters that take them both on incredible adventures across the globe.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *I'm glad that I decided to listen to this fictional tale as I'm not sure I would have been able to follow the plot in written form or stayed interested.

2.  *As a reader, I did enjoy the first section of the story where I got to know George Washington Black, his owner, and the owner's brother.  It was fascinating to read about how Christopher convinced his brother to "give" him Wash.

3.  *The next section about the creation of the "cloud cutter" was also fascinating and interesting.  It was at this point in the story I couldn't tell where reality ended and fantasy began.  

4.  *To be honest, the rest of the story lost me a bit and I found myself not really listening to the audio.  And believe me, I had plenty of time because of the awful winter weather we have been having.  

5.  *I think the writing was very well done, and the premise of the story was unique.  For me, as a reader, it didn't hold my interest and had too many plot lines and characters to keep track of.  


Who Should Read It:   I'm not sure how to answer this question?  I think this book takes a special type of reader.  They definitely need to be a fan of high-quality literature with many complex and detailed themes throughout the pages.  In my opinion, this is NOT the novel for the casual reader.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment