Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus

How I Heard About It:   While browsing GoodReads I came across this title.  I was looking for a young-adult novel.  I had read One of Us Is Lying and really enjoyed it.  I ordered the novel via Amazon and it was here in no time at all.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Ellery and Ezra are twins with a mother who can't quite get her act together.  They are sent to live with their grandmother, while their mom gets things "figured" out.  


2.  *The twins arrive in Echo Ridge which is a small town.  Their aunt, their mother's sister, went missing from this town when she was in high-school.  

3.  *When they arrive, the Homecoming festivities are just getting underway.  Five years ago, the current homecoming queen was was killed and her killer was never found.  

4.  *While Ellery and Ezra get situated in Echo Ridge, they begin to meet some of the other high-school kids.  One of these new friends is Malcolm who has his own family secrets and issues.

5.  *One of the members of the homecoming court goes missing, and Ellery sets out to figure out what happened to her and how it might tie to the past tragedies of Echo Ridge.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1. * I truly enjoyed Karen McManus' first novel and I always worry that the follow-up story might not measure up.  That was not the case here.  

2.  *I was pulled into the mysteries and suspense of Echo Ridge as soon as I began reading.  I was fascinated by how the past was going to tie to the present situation with Ellery, Ezra, and Malcolm.

3.  *The story was told from two points of view:  one being Ellery's and the second persepctive came from Malcolm.  This format added greatly to the unfolding events that took place.  

4.  *The author did a phenomal job of creating suspense and unknowing throughout the entire story.  The build-up to the climax of "who done it?" was intense and made for some quick page-turning.

5.  *It might just be me, but I never seem to be able to figure out who is responsible for the "crime".  After I find out, I realize the author did an excellent creation of clues along the way.  That is exactly what happened with this young-adult novel.  


Who Should Read It:   Any reader who read One of Us is Lying, must put this second title on their TBR list.  You will not be disappointed.  This novel is perfect for the high-school and college reader.  I would also recommend it to adult readers who gravitate toward young-adult fiction.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment