Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano

How I Heard About It:
*After seeing several RAVE reviews of this novel published for adults on InstaGram, I knew I had to read it (listen to it).  I downloaded it via Audible and have enjoyed the story over the last couple of weeks during my commute to and from school.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Eddie's family is moving from New York to California.  While all their belongings are in a truck; Eddie, his brother, and their parents board a flight to transfer them from their old life to a brand new sunny one on the west coast.


2.  *After a few hours in the air, major issues occur with the aircraft resulting in a horrific crash.  There is only ONE survivor.  Eddie/Edward.

3.  *After a long stay in the hospital, Edward, as he now wants to be called; begins a new life with his aunt and uncle.  

4.  *While trying to navigate his new normal, Edward finds a collection of letters from the loved ones, family, and friends of those that perished on that fateful day.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I LOVED this story!

2.  *I was so drawn into Eddie's survival, his quest for normalcy, and his undying love and ties to his three family members.

3.  *The story went back and forth between the day on the plane and following Eddie's life several years following the crash.  This format made for a fascinating and intriguing read.

4.  *During the chapters about the day of the crash, we not only got to know Edward's family, but several of the other passengers who all had a story of their own.

5.  *Toward the end of the story, I was glued to my car with tears in my eyes taking in the powerful and emotional words of Ann Napolitano.  A definite WOW story!


Who Should Read It:
*I can't imagine one reader not enjoying this novel.  The story was beautifully written.  The characters were real and portrayed both the positive, and negative, aspects of the human condition.  The plot flowed from page to page.  A definite must-read.  I know you will enjoy.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment