Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Fighting Words by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

How I Heard About It:
*While at #NCTE19 in Baltimore, I saw advanced copies of the middle-grade novel that is due to release in August of 2020.  I heard conversations about the upcoming story.  I even ran into Kimberly Brubaker Bradley at the Starbucks across the street from the convention center.  I did not come home with an ARC.  I did however receive a copy of the novel in the mail from Penguin Publishers.  Lucky me!!!


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *First of all, this is not an easy story to summarize.  It is raw.  It is real.  It is powerful.  It is emotional.

2.  *The story centers around sisters Della and Suki.  To say they haven't had the easiest of times, it a major understatement.  The pages begin with the two moving into a foster home.

3.  *They have just escaped a horrifying situation with their mother's boyfriend who she has  "abandoned" them with.  

4.  *Suki had learned that Della was in danger and made it her mission to protect her younger sister.  This protection may come at the price of her own existence.  

5.  *Suki, Della, a foster mother, a school and legal system, along with several young friends/enemies surround these two sisters who are trying to escape their past and make some sense of an unknown future.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As soon as I began the book, I knew it was going to be a special kind of reading experience and what an experience it was.

2.  *The writing of Kimberly Brubaker Bradley was so exceptional that I found myself taking in every word, sentence, and paragraph.  I'm not a huge re-reader, but I did many times during the story.

3.  *I've never read a middle-grade novel centered around the theme of sexual abuse.  This story took me to places that were uncomfortable, scary, and horrific; but I know is a story that is needed out in the real world.

4.  *My heart broke, repaired itself, and broke again and again as I read about Della, Suki, and all they endured.

5.  *There are so many important and incredible themes woven among the pages of the book; but I think the most important one is that girls have the right to say to EVERYONE - "You can't touch me and I don't give you permission."


Who Should Read It:
*There is going to be a certain reader out there in the world who will be SAVED by this story.  These type of life-altering narratives are needed and our young readers need to see themselves represented on the pages.  Because of the content, subject matter, and situations; I would be most comfortable putting the novel in the hands of a reader in grade five and/or above.  Be sure to read the novel before you do share it with a young reader in your own life.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I need to write this down on my calendar now! I'll order it when August comes!

    Would you recommend it as a middle school read aloud? Why, or why not?

    ReplyDelete