Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler

How I Heard About It:
*This novel was chosen for our BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a book club which consists of some male teachers in my building.  We have been reading together since 2000.  We each take a turn picking a novel for us to read, discuss, and think about.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *This story centers around two families.  

2.  *The first family consists of Valerie Alston-Holt who is raising her high-school son Xavier.  

3.  *The second family, named the Whitmans, live next door, and have recently come into a lot of money.  Their teenage daughter Juniper, is dealing with some life issues.  

4.  *Xavier's mother and Juniper's father begin to clash over some property issues.  

5.  *While this "dispute" ensues, Xavier and Juniper begin a relationship which has consequences for everyone involved.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was a different sort of read for me.  I would classify the point of view as second person.

2.  *There were parts of the story that moved a bit slow, and I did find myself skimming a bit.

3.  *Overall, the main story was engaging and as I got more and more into the book; the more "intense" the story became.

4.  *There was quite a bit of conflict between the two families and created some uncomfortable moments for me as a reader.

5.  *The conclusion was shocking and didn't leave me with a satisfying feeling.


Who Should Read It:
*This is definitely a story for the adult reader.  I'm not sure every reader will enjoy the story, but I know there will definitely be a target audience for the novel.  I know readers who have read other works by the author and have enjoyed her writing.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment